Tuesday, June 23, 2009

People of Iran Rise Up

I’ve changed my Facebook and Twitter profiles to green ribbons in support of the protestors in the Islamic Republic of Iran. I support people who choose to express their political views through non-violent protests. I am thrilled when people who have had their backs pressed against the wall stand up straight and say “The situation in which I find myself is intolerable.” But while I stand in awe of the courage of these protestors I have to question their raison d’ etre.

I know that ostensibly, the people want their votes to be counted fairly. But I submit to you, gentle readers, that a fair vote count is the least of their problems. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is, well as kindly as I can put it, off his rocker. But he’s not the people’s biggest problem. The solution to the people’s problem is not likely to be Mir-Hossein Mousavi either. While President Ahmadinejad is a largely unpopular figure in Iran and around the world, it is not clear to me that Mr. Mousavi would be any better. For better or worse, it is true that sometimes the devil you know beats the devil that you don’t know. The real problem is the country’s constitution. From that poison root, flourishes the strangling vines of the Grand Ayatollah Alik Khamenel aka The Supreme Leader. According to the constitution The Supreme Leader is the most powerful person in the government. He is the puppet master behind the scenes pulling all the political strings.

I have a natural mistrust of Popes, pontiffs, and potentates regardless of their religious affiliations. History shows that absolute power corrupts absolutely. And when that corruption is shrouded in religious dogma the poor and the ignorant suffer; while the bright and talented either yield to corruption themselves or face extermination.

The Koran, like the Torah and the Bible, was designed to be a light to guide individuals to a closer walk with God. The use of it to break a subjugate people is a perversion.

My hope is that this protest against a perceived injustice will develop into a real revolution that strikes at the heart of the real infringements to justice and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment