Sunday, August 9, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

If you grew up in the 80's watching the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoons; and collecting some or all of the 500 action figures with swivel arm battle grips, you will not be disappointed. This movie is true to the cartoon with only minor deviations. I don't mean to suggest that its a great epic, not by a long shot. Citzen Kane, it is not. But it is deserving of far more praise than the online reviews I've read have been giving.

Lets face it the cartoon was implausible. Secret bunckers and high tech weapons. Then there are the schemes employed by Cobra Commander to take over the world to no particular end. So expecting the script to be seemlessly coherent is asking a bit much.

This movie is a delightful respite from more serious subjects like health care reform, recessions and real wars abroad. It is what it is. A well shot science fiction, action movie, with an admirable attractive cast. A mindless foray into fantasy. Star Wars meets Bad Boys. For me, I got to be 10 years old again for a full 118 minutes. And for that I am greatful to Hasbro.

Believe it or not, my only real problem with the movie was its attempt at diversity. I like the ethnic diversity but instead of being real American heroes, the Joes were more of an international league of super soldiers. But unlike most Hollywood movies, no black people were killed in the making of this movie. Yo Joe!

One special mention before I end this entry. Damon Wayans puts in a note worthy appearance as Ripcord. I would not have thought of casting him because of his super silly performances in...well just about everything. But his performance as an action hero was honestly good.
Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment