Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Queen's Crown On Display


No, not Queen Elizabeth II. I'm talking about the Queen of Soul. The hat worn by Aretha Franklin when she sang at the inauguration of President Obama is going to be donated to the Smithsonian Institute. It will be displayed in the presidential exhibit.
Aretha Franklin, dissapointed by her own performance the day of the the event, is releasing a commemorative studio version of My Country Tis of Thee.
I've listened to the track. All I can say is that I wish she had pre-recorded like the other performers. It's a vast improvement. Not that Franklin sounded bad. But you could have heard that level of quality at any missionary baptist church in any given Sunday service. This studio quality recording is classic Franklin; and truly worthy of both her majesty and the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment